Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Meme- Nearest Book

This one's fast. I saw it on Langwitches. It is called the Nearest Book Meme. I am the queen of both reading and random, so it appealed to me. 

The Rules:
•Get the book nearest to you. Right now.
•Go to page 56.
•Find the 5th sentence.
•Write this sentence - either here or on your blog.
•Copy these instructions as commentary of your sentence.
•Don't look for your favorite book or your coolest, but really the nearest book.

The closest book is the fiction I'm currently reading, American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld. I hope the 5th sentence of pg. 56 is appropriate for my blog. Let's see--ok, counting from the first complete sentence on the page, here is #5:

Approaching each other, him from the gym, me from the library---this was when I walked down the aisle and he was waiting, this was when we made love, it was every anniversary, every reunion in an airport or train station, every reconciliation after a quarrel.
That's it. Pretty random. Your turn.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I pop in here? I'll prob do it at my blog, too.

But:

Rather than sparkling, they remained flat and impassive, like old dimes.

from Dress Your Damily in Corduroy and Denim
By David Sedaris

Andrea said...

great idea! Everyone can leave theirs in the comments.
Then we take all the random sentences from people's books and create something new --found sentence fiction (or nonfiction?) writing. I like it. It actually sounds like something you might take on, Kevin.

I enjoy David Sedaris, too, although I started, but didn't finish Dress Your Family...

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Andrea!

He entered the college in 1951, and during the interim worked as a postman and took some university courses as a part-time student.

From James K Baxter - A Portrait by W H Oliver

Catchya